Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book Club Report: Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon

My book club met again on Thursday to discuss our latest pick.

Short summary: The lives of three strangers interconnect in unforeseen ways in this twisted novel about identity and identity theft. Miles is once again on the search for his troubled twin brother Hayden who has been on the run for ten years. Lucy graduates high school and leaves town with her charismatic history teacher to hole up in a long deserted hotel. Ryan fakes his death when he finds out that his uncle is really his father and decides to reinvent his life.

The group's verdict: Everyone appreciated the innovative structure and plot of this one, though some were disapointed that many of the characters never really got closure in their character arcs and that fates were left ambiguous (that didn't bother me though). We spent some time discussing what might have happened to the characters where the story left off, and also about how easy/hard it is to reinvent yourself when you move to a new town where no one knows you. A very thrilling book to read which lead to some interesting chats in our group.

Up next: THE TOURIST by Olen Steinhauer

11 comments:

Diana Dang said...

Interesting novel, thanks for the verdict!

Shweta said...

I guess with a plot like that it would lead to an active discussion. But incomplete character arcs and lack of closure can be frustrating sometimes :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I thought this one was very different --I liked it.

Unknown said...

I'm always interested to hear about other book club picks. Thanks for sharing.

bookaholic said...

A very innovative plot and an interesting report!

bermudaonion said...

I'm looking forward to this one - sounds like a good one to discuss.

Zibilee said...

I have been excited about this book for some time, and am glad to hear that you book club mostly liked it. I don't think that the ambiguity would bother me either, and I am looking forward to this book. I have another book by Chaon on my shelves, called You Remind Me of Me. Have you tried that one yet? I am curious bout that one as well.

Unknown said...

this is on my personal list to read. I wish i had friends to join a book club with! All the ones I know are pretty full. How do you guys pick your books?

caite said...

I don't mind when some story lines are left ambiguous. I don't think everything has to be all neatly wrapped up.

Literary Feline said...

I've been wanting to read this one since I first heard about it. I am glad most everyone liked this one, even if not the ambiguity. That's something I don't mind as long as it fits the book.

Marie Cloutier said...

Thanks for hte post- I'm looking forward to reading this one. Sounds like you had a good meeting.